How Chicago Police Covered Up The Murder Of Laquan McDonald

At least 16 Chicago police officers worked together to conceal Jason Van Dyke’s murder of a Black teenager, Laquan McDonald.

Join me on Patreon

Please support the website & don’t forget to subscribe

You can change the amount to whatever you wish

Select Payment Method
Personal Info

Credit Card Info
This is a secure SSL encrypted payment.

Donation Total: $5.00

Click the texts in red to view these additional videos:

Find out why I’m no longer on YouTube
This is why you should join my Patreon.

If You liked this please remember to share & leave a comment. Join in the conversation.

This website relies on the generosity & kindness of our subscribers & visitors. If you’d like to help us to keep creating hard hitting uncensored content without fear of being silenced, then please consider making a donation or join our Patreon for exclusive live-streams & IKYG family events. Thank you.

At least 16 Chicago police officers worked together to conceal Jason Van Dyke’s murder of Laquan McDonald. A Black teenager.

Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke fatally shot Laquan McDonald in October 2014, sparking fury and widespread protests across the city. But documents describing the police department’s cover-up of that murder — including falsified police statements, the improper disposal of eyewitness statements, and a culture of silence among police — were withheld from the public for nearly three years.

Police claimed during that time that Van Dyke feared for his life and that Laquan McDonald was a threat. They fought to keep the city’s report from an internal investigation sealed.


The withheld report from that investigation, written in 2016, was finally released.

Joseph Ferguson, the city’s inspector general, alleged in the newly released report that officers had widely engaged in falsifying statements to “exaggerate the threat Laquan McDonald posed.”

For example, Anthony Wojcik, a former lieutenant who was at the scene of McDonald’s death, improperly threw away statements from witnesses of the shooting and recreated police reports without checking with detectives for accuracy.

Wojcik then retired from the department in May 2016. While the city was still investigating the police officers’ alleged misconduct. He was never charged with a crime.

Additionally, at least two other cops falsely reported after the shooting that they heard Van Dyke tell Laquan McDonald to drop a weapon multiple times. When they wouldn’t have been able to hear any part of the encounter from where they were standing. Four other cops either failed to record the events or improperly withheld video evidence.

False claims.

The police department previously claimed that patrol cars were facing away from the shooting. Dashboard cameras automatically activate when a cop engages lights and sirens. They also claimed that audio was missing due to a technical problem.

Police dash-cam footage from the shooting, released in 2015, contradicted the cops’ version of events, sparking the city’s internal probe. The footage showed Van Dyke shooting McDonald as he walked away with a small knife. Van Dyke then continued to shoot even after the teen fell to the ground and lay dying. Laquan McDonald was still breathing but officers failed to render aid or check for a pulse.

After officers viewed the damning dashcam footage of McDonald’s shooting years ago, they further justified the murder. They alleged McDonald was dangerous, and continued to approve false police statements, according to Ferguson’s report.

Jason Van Dyke

Van Dyke, who refused to participate in the inspector general’s probe, was sentenced to nearly seven years in prison for second-degree murder in 2019. Four police officers who were with Van Dyke that night — Richard Viramontes, Janet Mondragon, Stephen Franko, and Daphne Sebastian — were also fired in 2019 over their alleged efforts to protect Van Dyke or obstruct justice, although they were never charged criminally.

Meanwhile, Van Dyke’s partner, Joseph Walsh, and officers Thomas Gaffney and David March were found not guilty of engaging in a cover-up earlier this year. Walsh and March have since resigned.

The inspector general initially recommended the firing of 11 cops, including the high-ranking Chief of Detectives Eugene Roy and Deputy Chief David McNaughton. He recommended discipline for four other officers he said were involved.

McNaughton was one of the officers to approve false police reports after watching the dashcam footage, according to the report. Roy also viewed the video but “let stand reports containing materially false statements and conclusions.” Both retired before they could face punishment.

Some of the allegations in the investigation were previously revealed years ago through documents obtained by the Chicago Tribune.